- Two classrooms and one playground benefitting ~150 primary students renovated as part of the project
- Sixth school rebuilt by BASF and partners, as part of the organization’s long-term commitment to Vietnam’s education development
An Giang, Vietnam – April 20, 2022: BASF and other co-sponsors today initiated the sixth school renovation project covering B Nhơn Hưng primary school located in a remote area of Nhơn Hưng Commune*, Tịnh Biên District, An Giang Province, nearly 300km away from Ho Chi Minh City. As part of the project, two new classrooms and a playground, spread across a total area of 328 square meters have been rebuilt. Facilitated by Saigon Children’s Charity CIO, the project aims to offer better and safer learning environment to almost 150 school children.
Before the renovation, students attended classes in old facilities built in 2005, with basic structures and materials, which were uncomfortable, especially during high temperatures and rainy weather. The new facilities provide a safer and comfortable place that enable more efficient and effective learning and development.
“As part of our long-term commitment to support Vietnam’s education development, BASF together with our key customers and partners has enabled school children from remote areas to get better access to quality education, through this school renovation program. Despite the various challenges over the last two years due to the pandemic, we are proud to continue our flagship program and once again bring local students a safe and high-quality learning environment,” said Erick Contreras, Managing Director, BASF Vietnam.
The new facilities are painted using safe and environment-friendly products meeting Green Label Certification, sponsored by a well-known paint and coatings manufacturer Nippon Paint Việt Nam. These paints are made with BASF ingredients.
Other financial co-sponsors include:
- Brenntag Vietnam, a subsidiary of Brenntag SE, a global market leader in chemical and ingredients distribution.
- MKVN Chemicals, a company active in distributing personal care and home care chemicals, and other functional products.
- Phúc Hưng, a distributor for crop protection products in An Giang Province.
- Sam Chem Sphere, a distributor of industrial chemicals, industrial lubricants, fleet lubricants and waterproofing materials.
- Viet Duc Lubricants & Chemicals, a distributor of lubricants and chemicals.
*Nhơn Hưng is one of those communes sharing a border with Cambodia in the mountainous Tinh Biên District, An Giang Province. Over 25% of the district’s residents are Khmer ethnic people(1) and 11.5% of them(2) are from low-income households. School dropout has been one of the biggest challenges for this local community.
Apart from the collaborative school renovation initiative, BASF Vietnam has been active in multiple community projects. It holds the interactive education program BASF Kids’ Lab on an annual basis for about 5,000 schoolchildren and offers BASF Virtual Lab, a website for primary students to do fun online chemistry experiments. The company has also built five public playgrounds for over 12,000 children.
(1) Tinh Bien_An Giang_Hompage_History
(2) Tinh Bien_An Giang_Homepage_Economy & Society